Dragonfly
... because working my way back into blogging regularly is hard. And this is easy. Though, I warn you now, I don't follow the rules very well. *shrug*

When I was perusing Bleeding Espresso (OMG, I still love, love, love her blog name) yesterday, I found a neat little Book Meme and I like books... and I like the Meme thing... so why not, ya know?

Now, I mentioned rules except there aren't really any. It's just that the questions state ONE book and umm, I have indecisive-itis. If you ask me chocolate or strawberry ice cream, I'll shift from one foot to the other for a minute... and then go batshit crazy because I Just. Can't. Decide. And can I please have both? So. Some of the questions might not be answered appropriately and, honestly? I don't care.

Here we go, then:

1. One book that changed your life: It's hard to condense this one down to a singular book but I can name a singular author: Judy Blume. What girl didn't find some life-altering words in one of Judy Blume's books? Book-wise, it's a very close toss-up between Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret and Forever. I kind of wish I'd read Forever a little more closely.

2. One book you've read more than twice: I've read a BUNCH of books more than twice and since one of them I'll be mentioning in another question, I'll say: Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone. Before I read each new book, I have to go back and re-read the entire series up to that point. Which means I read this one like 6 times.

3. One book you'd want on a desert island (I think they mean deserted because on a desert island, I don't want a book. I want WATER): Okay, I'm not choosing ONE book but I am choosing one SERIES of books. They're all by the same author and it's my game so I'm playing it how I want to. If someone told me, "No, you can only take one book," I'd answer, "Ummm, no, I'm going to a deserted island so I think I can take as many books as I can carry." And if they said, "No, ma'am (because in my world, annoying people call me ma'am), really... you can only take one book," I'd clock them upside the head and then run... with as many books as I could carry - specifically, the entire Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Because who could EVER get tired of reading those giant tomes of yumminess? Not me, that's for sure.

An aside -- I currently have my teenager, Shaggy, reading Outlander. I LOVE it. He keeps telling me where he's at and asks questions about what's next, to which I reply, "Hehehehe... you'll see."

4. One book that made you laugh: LOTS of books have made me laugh but when I read this question, I get the idea it wants the almost-peed-in-your-pants laughed. And there was one. But I can't remember WHICH one it was! Specifically. I think it was a paranormal chick-lit-y kind of book. Maybe? *rolling eyes* This is HARD. I do remember laughing VERY hard at certain parts of gods in Alabama, by Joshilyn Jackson, though. And it was probably very close to pee-your-pants laughing because that woman? She's got THE FUNNY. Her blog is a daily read here and I can't tell you how many times she's saved me from snatching myself bald with her random bits of M&M chocolatey goodness humor.

5. One book that made you cry: The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold. I boo-hoo'd like a child who'd lost her blankie while reading that one. Just let loose. I don't remember a specific part of it or anything but it was towards the end and I... Lordy... that book had me bawling. It's the death thing, I think. I just read another looking-down-from-heaven book, called Elsewhere, by Gabrielle Zevin and I lost it on that one, too. I should not be allowed to read any more books like that but they're like horror movies. I know I'm going to be scared. I know I'm going to have nightmares but I Can't. Stop. Watching. Them!

Oh Oh OH! I have another that just made me CRY my freaking eyes out: The Host, by Stephenie Meyer. And yes, it was another death-involved bit that got me going. Possibly, I have issues there.

6. One book you wish you had written: Oh, this is easy... but it's going to be a repeat -- gods in Alabama, by Joshilyn Jackson. Really, ANYTHING by her. I would kiss toes (and trust me, this is like losing a limb because I am NOT a fan of feet, except my own, and that's weird so that's another post)... ANYHOW. I would kiss toes to be able to write like Joss. She ROCKS the words. She takes words and stretches and shapes and stretches and shapes and then gives you Sweet Gooey Shiny Saltwater Book TAFFY.

7. One book you wish had never been written: I'm going to be a nice person and NOT mention it by name but there was this ONE book. Everyone talked and talked and talked about this book. "OMG, it's great!" "OMG, you have to read it." So I bought it. And I tried to read it. I really, REALLY tried. Fifty pages into it, I threw it against the wall and decided the rest of the population had to be STARK RAVING CRAZY. Either that or all of THEIR copies came with a special crack powder in the binding that skewed their reading pleasure centers. And I missed the book crack boat.

8. One book you are currently reading: I'm not ACTUALLY currently reading anything but I've moved a book off the shelf and into my about-to-start-reading spot on my desk, so that counts. Right? It's The Sugar Queen, by Sarah Addison Allen. I love, love, loved her Garden Spells book and Deb had a pretty good review of this one on her blog. Therefore, it's next.

9. One book you've been meaning to read: Umm, LOTS and LOTS of books? Seriously... one? No. I have LISTS of books I've been meaning to read, am going to buy to read, or will get from the library to read. LISTS. Two of the latest additions to my list are: Beastly, by Alex Flinn, and Wicked Lovely, by Melissa Marr. And that's just on the YA list.

Well, there they are - all my little book-ish tidbits. I suppose this whole thing is supposed to say something about me. Maybe? I don't know what it says, though. I'm a sucker for stuff that will make me cry. I'm a sucker for big, fat books. If it's Joshilyn Jackson writing it, I'll buy multiple copies because I'm always thrusting one into someone's hands, saying, "READ THIS!" And I like me some wizardry and Young Adult. Also? EVERYONE should read at least one Judy Blume in their lifetime. Really. Every. One.

Edited to Add: I spent an HOUR copying all the little book pictures to make this post look PRETTY and -- insert VERY BAD WORDS -- Blogger just CAN'T get the picture thing down pat. It jacks that stuff up EVERY damn time. *wordless screaming* I really need to move this blog somewhere else, I think. Therefore, no lovely pictures of books. Dammit. Stupid Blogger.
4 Responses
  1. OK, love Judy Blume, the Harry Potters that I've read (need to get caught up!), and well if "gods in Alabama" isn't haunting me these days, I don't know what is. You see, I clicked on Joshilyn's site yesterday from Deb's and immediately recognized the name...and then I realized why when I saw her book in the sidebar b/c it's been on my Amazon wishlist for months. Anyway, must read it. Thanks for (again) reminding me.

    And I'm sorry to hear about Blogger eating your photos. I used to be on Blogger too. I have no kind words for it.


  2. Dragonfly Says:

    Oh yes, you MUST read everything Joshilyn Jackson has written (3, so far). You will NOT be disappointed.

    Blogger - I really need to get off of here but a) I am lazy and b) I suffer from severe procrastination. It just seems like such a production to get a new place.. like buying a new house or something. LOL It really is getting on my last nerve, though.


  3. Janet Says:

    You liked The Host, eh? Hmmm...maybe I should read that! I'm sure you can tell by my blog name I'm a fan of the Harry Potter books :-)


  4. Dragonfly Says:

    Oh yes, the Host was Very Good. It's totally Body Snatchers but from the alien POV. I really really liked it.

    Harry Potter rocks! And I love the art at the top of your blog. Snape kicks butt and hits all my Wendy buttons; he's so broken.