Dragonfly
As I was running by the computer while muttering to myself, "No time, no time," I decided heck with it... I could find a few moments (read: more than 30 minutes) to blog. It's just sleep, right?

I have woken up extremely late four days in a row now. I did not hear any of my THREE alarms and when Mr. Clean kicked me off the bed, I simply reached up and dragged my pillow down to the floor with me. I really need to vacuum. Seriously, though? I'm starting to think that my sleep mechanism is broken. Or perhaps I should live in Europe, where my being wide awake would translate more appropriately. It's what... 7:30am in Scotland just now? That's it! I'm in the wrong time zone.

Sleep issues aside... I'm not really writing either BUT I'm revving the engines at the stop light. Any minute now, that light is going to turn green and you'll just see a hint of me as I speed away. For the moment, I've thrown out my usual pants-ing way of writing and am getting to know my main character through "The Mother of All Character Interviews." It's fun, but long... and yet insanely helpful at the same time. I meant to fill out another page of questions today while at Shaggy's baseball practice but was distracted....

I think, somehow, when I was not looking, while I was finding bunnies in the fluffy clouds above my head, I became TEAM MOM. How. Did. This. Happen? Really. I have no clue. I think when I said the words, "Sure, I can help by emailing the parents about practice times," the over-worked, under-appreciated coordinator heard, "I would be just split-my-sides-head-over-heels happy to be Team Mom. Oh please please let me be Team Mom."

As I was informing parents of times and dates and uniforms and Opening Day this evening, they kept asking me, "Are you Team Mom?" I raised one eyebrow and gave them my serious-don't-mess-with-me look and said, "NO. I am NOT."

I don't think they believed me.

Tonight... as I sat in my living room sifting through shirts, pants, belts, socks, hats, and patches... it hit me. I am the freaking Team Mom. Can I just say? This is So. Not. Me. Really, it's not. But I feel trapped because if I don't take the reins... who's going to take care of these things?? I'm shrieking on the inside.

Shaggy is, of course, elated with the small upward movement of importance by having his mom "in charge" of things. Ugh. I hate typing that. Poor Doodlebug, though... I haven't been able to make one of his practices yet and I feel sick about it. He doesn't seem bothered but it bothers ME. I've vowed to be present at his Monday practice. No matter what.

In other news - I tried my hand at reverse engineering my favorite Chicken Marsala, again. I failed. Again. But it was a tasty failure! Really, it's the closest I've gotten to what I order at the restaurant but it's still off just a teeny-tiny bit. And it's annoying the snot out of me.

They tout the dish in their menu as having both "amber butter" and "marie cheese" in it. I figure the amber butter is simply a nice way of saying browned butter - and that makes sense - but marie cheese? There is No. Such. Thing! There is a type of cheese called Flower Marie cheese but it's English. And soft. And NOT the cheese they are using on what I order.

Their sauce is like a mixture of a basic marsala sauce crossed with something like an alfredo sauce. Very odd. Soooo tasty. I tried finishing mine off with heavy cream and grated parmesan, just like an alfredo and it was good but it was not the "real thing."

Truly, this is driving me nuts. If anyone has ever heard of a hard italian cheese (like a parmesan) called "marie," please let me know. I'm trying peccorino (sic) next... and more cream (mine was still darker than theirs) AND I'll take pics as I go and post the recipe of whatever I end up with. Every attempt has been quite good to eat.

While I'm still awake and on the subject of food...

I grew up under the strict guise of never saying "Eww" to anything or refusing to eat it unless I tried it once. And that's fine - as long as it does not apply to "head cheese" as I will not eat it... I will not taste it... no freaking way. That's just disgusting (looking). So, it stands to reason that once I find something I like, I tend to stick with it. I'm a creature of habit.

That being said, I should also mention that I don't usually do breakfast. It's a difficult thing for me to eat in the morning. BUT, there is one breakfast bar I absolutely love (Kellogg's Cran-Vanilla Crunch bar)... indeed, one I nibble on at least three or four mornings a week (and always as an afternoon snack).

It turns out my habit of falling in love with TV shows that inevitably get cancelled has now transferred to my food. They discontinued my breakfast bar! And they didn't even have the decency to give me notice so I could buy up every store's supply. Bastards. Really, I'm that peeved. Probably not as peeved as Mr. Clean, though - I made him go to every grocery store around to check for any that might have been left. That's love, folks. *grin*

And, with that... I'm going to bed. I'll try not to be so scattered next time, too. Y'all have a great weekend! I'll be spending mine NOT being Team Mom on Opening Day at the baseball field. I hear a few of the Astros will be on hand for some signatures as well as some country music singers. My spawnlings are overjoyed. I hear it's going to rain.
2 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Oh boy. Team Mom. My daughter is going to be the cheerleading coach for our small junior high next year, so I guess I get to be Team Mom (for the 1st time ever). Heh. I'm not sure what it will entail other than a lot more basketball games I have to attend. The things we do for our kids..........
    I've never even HAD Chicken Marsala. I feel so deprived. It sounds possitively yummy.


  2. Dragonfly Says:

    Good luck, Katkin. I feel for you already. :)

    Seriously... the things we do for kids. You couldn't have said it any better!

    Chicken Marsala - YUM. Stay tuned and I'll post a recipe soon. The only downside is I've never found a 'small' bottle of Marsala wine. Then again, I think that's what they use for Tiramisu so you could make a lot of dessert with the leftover wine. LOL