Dragonfly
I know I haven't been around lately but I am alive. After yesterday, I'm not sure HOW I'm still alive but as I've just pitched a fit about no milk for my coffee and not a lighter to be found in the house, Mr. Clean can attest to my living-and-breathing-fire state - when he gets back from the store.

Yesterday. Wooo hoooo. I've come to learn that adults never really understand just how wild-haired-bufumufu-crazy they are until they go to places like Texas Renaissance Festival.... with SEVEN kids ranging in age from 8 to 14.

Yeah, let me repeat that in a better context. Four adults. SEVEN kids. And? All of them are in the poisoned venomous hormonal state of pre-teen or teen status except for one (who really was very sweet the entire day, but only because he's too young to have hit that "other" status yet).

Let me state, for the record, that none of these kids were bad or difficult. What they were, however? A bunch of kids who all wanted to do something different. And they outnumbered us. Plus, every one of their interests were completely removed from what the adults wanted to do (get drunk and get themselves lost - not necessarily in that order). My feet are killing me and I missed hearing Tartanic play (which sort of burns my ass but there's always next year).

The most I saw of this one was his "Why-are-you-taking-my-picture" face (it's a choice of this or his tongue sticking out these days) and the typical blur photo:

He's cute but SO not into cameras. Or Mom's with cameras.

All that said - we had a BLAST. Wahoo and I did our yearly double-team palm/tarot card readings (with the same guy now, for three years running. He has yet to be off the mark in ways one just cannot explain). We saw Washing Well Wenches drench people with their hilarity... and maybe a few gallons of water. We saw Sturdy Beggars eat mud. We missed the joys of Wild & Thorny (because, hello, we had kids in tow). And the piece de resistance... Ded Bob (seen before all the other kids arrived as he is not for children. MY spawnlings, however, have seen Bob a few times now. The elder spawn "gets" it now. The younger one has a head very well streamlined for the raunchy humor to rush right over the top). You cannot go to TRF and miss Ded Bob. Ded Bob Bonks.

What we did not do? Spend a metric ton of money. That's a good thing. It's also a first (sad, considering I've been going every year since I was but a wee tot).

The cool thing about TRF is that we live really, really close to it. And that means my spawn will have the chance to fully embrace it by working there if they want to, when they're old enough. Doodlebug is already working on his skills:


And that's about it for this weekend. I'm now off to WRITE. I don't know about what, exactly (haven't yet started on the sex scene challenge but it's swimming about my head!) but I'm sure it'll come to me.

1 Response
  1. Deb R Says:

    Sounds like a fun day! :-)