Dragonfly
I had ideas yesterday. Little ideas that seemed to be growing outside the boundaries of my head. They made me giddy and giggly so I sat down to write (Yippee!!). I wrote three words... and then Wahoo showed up and we played for the rest of the day.

Yeah. I'm thinking Fate isn't really on my side where writing is concerned. She wanted to make sure I had a well-rounded friend/social weekend though and I'm not going to complain about that. I've been cave-dwelling a little to often here lately. It's all good. And tonight, I will attack the laptop with my rapid-fire fingers, adding a few more words to those lonely three.

Until then, I'm joining Deb on a mindless meme memory journey:

What was your first childhood pet?
When I was but a wee little spawnling, still an only child, we had a bird named Snowball (not quite sure what kind of bird it was... smallish, maybe a parakeet). He used to swing around his perch like an Olympic gymnast on the parallel bars and then hang upside down. I think he secretly wanted to be a bat. One day the big dummy let go while he was still upside down and broke his neck.

What was your favorite comic?
If this means comic books, I didn't read any. I read a few comic strips in the newspaper as a kid -- Marmaduke, Family Circus, Garfield. I can't think of any others.

What was your favorite childhood book?
Early on, I was a Dr. Seuss fan. Had them all. Passed them all to my own spawnlings later, too. Later on, my favorites were anything by Judy Blume, A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle, and The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe.

Did you ever have an imaginary friend as a child?
Yes. I had a couple of them. They didn't go so far as to eat dinner with me, go shopping, or on vacations... nothing like that. They just pretty much stayed in my room until I felt like playing.

Did you play an instrument as a child?
I played the piano - quite well and had reached playing some fairly difficult pieces through lessons. But then I gave it up (though I don't remember why). I regret quitting because now I can hear the music in my head but have a heck of a time translating it through my fingers. I've also almost completely forgotten how to read music.

What was the first hit single record you bought?
Jack & Diane - John Cougar Mellencamp. I used to listen to that song over and over and over and over. I still love it and just added it to my iPod the other day.

What tune sums up teenage summers?
This one is really difficult for me because the place we hung out at had a jukebox so there's a number of songs that really define my teenage summers. Superfreak - Rick James; Let it Be - The Beatles; Love Bites - Def Leppard; Misty Mountain Hop & Black Dog - Led Zeppelin; Free Bird, Tuesday's Gone, and Simple Man - Lynyrd Skynyrd; Funky Cold Medina - Tone Loc; 2LiveCrew; Guns N Roses; Whitesnake; Whisky Drinking Woman - Nazareth; Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult; Boston; Magic Power - Triumph; Pink Floyd. Oh... and can't forget Queen. At least one of my teenage summers was spent watching the midnight showing of Highlander at the $1 theatre about a million times.

What was the first pop concert you went to?
I've never been to a "pop" concert. The first rock concert I ever went to was Whitesnake, in 1987. Not the greatest seats but it was a last minute purchase. A group of us went to Def Leppard (Hysteria tour) a few weeks later and had 3rd row, center stage. Sweet. That brings back a ton of memories.

Fave teenage TV program?
Oh geez... it's always about the music. I should have been a rock star. Heh. I lived and breathed MTV during my teen years. If I wasn't watching that, I was watching All My Children. I still do.

Were you a naughty or a good girl at school?
I was a very, very naughty girl. I had good grades but I skipped school A LOT. Fourth period meant time to head out and play pool for the rest of the day. Or we'd go to the park and play football. Some days, we drove all the way down to Galveston and hung out on the beach. It's a wonder I made it through Freshman year with enough attendance to pass (though I maintained an A/B average and was always able to charm my teachers into letting me make up work).

After Freshman year the skipping stopped somewhat, mainly because everyone I'd skipped with graduated. Then it was only the occasional escape from the classroom to go off and be naughty with a boyfriend who wasn't in school any longer. Some of my fondest memories are right there... almost all of them starting with a 9 am phone call saying, "Come get me. I'm bored."

My teenage years can all be summed up with one word: Rebellion.

Miss Popularity, Artsy Pants, Weirdo, or Geek; which of these groups classify you at secondary (High) school?
None of the above. I had friends in the Popular group but wasn't "Popular" myself. I was Artsy but my best friend, while gorgeous, was a Geek girl. We both hung out with the Stoners. But really, almost everyone I ran around with had already graduated so there was no "group" to classify myself in. I knew everyone, was disliked by no one that I'm aware of, and didn't care about groups or classification. It was all a load of crap as far as I was concerned. I still haven't stopped fighting boundaries like that.

Girl most likely to (as in year book)?
See above -- no classifications. I guess if people who knew me were forced to find something... it might be the girl most likely to know where the party is at.

What color did you paint your bedroom as a teenager?
I loved my bedroom as a teen. I spent an entire weekend doing a faux paint job using a slatey blue and then ragged on white over it. It felt like sleeping in the clouds.

Very first paid job ever?
Babysitting. I was a great babysitter. My kids all loved me and I only invited a boyfriend over ONCE. Never did that again, either, because I felt so darn guilty about it.

Have you ever been really drunk?
*snort* Too drunk, too many times.

Did you smoke dope? and if so did you do a Bill Clinton (smoking but not inhaling)?
I was known to have smoked it on occasion and yes, I inhaled. (otherwise, what was the point?) I never did any other type of drugs. Honestly, the resulting lack of self-control associated with other drugs scared the crap out of me. I'm nothing if not a control freak. Always have been. And while that might not look to be a virtue at first glance, it turned out to be a hell of a one for me. Otherwise, I might have tried all of the other substances that were readily available. One of my favorite pasttimes, though, was watching everyone ELSE tripping on acid while watching Pink Floyd's The Wall. That'll scare you straight every time!

A stupid thing you did?
I went through a very self-destructive phase between my Sophomore and Junior years in high school and found myself hanging out with people I really didn't know. It's my one great regret. At the time, there was someone reaching out to me in friendship and instead I went along with people who were not my friends. It ended up hurting me, though I didn't realize it until years later.

Left handed or right handed?
Southpaw and proud of it.

Should you play a boardgame with me?
No, you shouldn't. I cheat. --- kidding! Of course you should play a board game with me. I am, however, VERY competetive. And I get a little hyper about it.

If you came to visit me what would we do?
I don't have a CLUE what we'd do if you came to visit. It all depends on who you are and what you want to do! I'm up for anything.
1 Response
  1. Deb R Says:

    I know we were in high school at different times and places, but if we'd been there at the same time and place I think we'd have gotten along just fine! :-)