Dragonfly
While my spawnlings have been out of school since the end of May, I think most people are just starting their summers with spawn. I guess Texas starts early.

It's great having the kiddos home - until the new penny shine wears off, that is. Like on Day 3. Then, in a frantic effort to escape, the great scrounge for summer books begins. I've gone through my TBR pile and will either be hitting Amazon soon or taking a trip to B&N. That being said, if you have an independent bookseller nearby - go there instead! Don't let Big Corporate drive all of these great stores out.

There are some great books coming out this summer, folks. Check them out!

Between, Georgia - by Joshilyn Jackson
This is a fantastic example of southern fiction that will keep you up 'til the wee hours because you just can't put it down without feeling like you'll miss something. Nonny Frett knows better than most what it means to be caught between a rock and a hard place. Born a Crabtree and raised a Frett, she finds herself at the center of the age-old Crabtree-Frett feud while also trying to figure out her own life. This novel will touch your heart, rile your senses, and, most of all, leave you with a smile on your face. Click on the book title link and buy a signed copy. Click on the author link to check out the most hilarious and entertaining author blog, ever. I promise you'll become as addicted to her writing as I have. (and don't forget her first beauty, gods in Alabama)

Frogs & French Kisses - by Sarah Mlynowski
Yeah, it's a YA novel but it's FUNNY! This follow up to Bras & Broomsticks follows Rachel's coming to terms with her sister, Miri's, inherited magical powers. Sure, baby sis got all the power from Mom and Rachel got nothing but maybe begging for one teeny tiny love spell will make up for it.

California Demon: The Secret Life of a Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom - by Julie Kenner
Another sequel here, this one to Carpe Demon: Adventures of a Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom. In Carpe Demon, we met Kate who answers the question - "what would happen if Buffy the Vampire Slayer got married, moved to the suburbs, and became a stay-at-home mom?" In California Demon, Kate secretly comes out of retirement to join the demon-hunting workforce again. PTA Hell takes on a whole new meaning.
Also - check out her blog.

One I'm reading right now - In The Company of The Courtesan - by Sarah Dunant, author of The Birth of Venus.
Written from the viewpoint of a crafty dwarf, Bucino Teodoldo, this story 16th century Venetian life is sparkling and detailed; a multi-layered discovery of the human heart. I'm only a bit of the way in but, so far, it's engaging and feels like looking through a multi-paned window of Venice.

That's it for the moment (have to get back to the day job). I'll post more later if I have a chance. Until then, good reading!
3 Responses
  1. Deb R Says:

    I'm still waiting on my (signed) copy of Between. I keep thinking I should read Carpe Demon, but have never got around to it and now there's already a sequel? Oy.

    Never heard of either of the others, but they both sound good!


  2. Dragonfly Says:

    You're going to just LOVE Between. I'm about to re-read it once I finish the Courtesan. Carpe Demon is such a hoot! You must read it. :)


  3. Farm Girl Says:

    I just read Honeymoon by James Patterson. It was very good. I'm on a big reading kick right now and also finished the DaVinci code. It was excellent. Happy reading.