Dragonfly
Is it Friday already? Dear dog, I had no idea the week had passed so quickly. Since I can’t sleep, here’s my after midnight snack attack. If you’d like to participate, go visit Friday Feast. Fun questions every week!

Appetizer
On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest, how much do you like your job?

Funny this question should come up now, of all times. This time last year, I would say my job rated an 8.75. Now, meh… I’m not so thrilled with it, to be honest. What I used to do, I’ve had to delegate to someone else in order to free up more of my time to take on different projects. The problem with that? I created that role from scratch. It’s my five year old child. So. It’s rather like handing your kiddo to a mediocre day care who feeds him too much sugar and doesn’t notice when he falls down and scrapes his knee. Hmm.. bad analogy, because if that happened, you’d take your kid out of there, toot sweet. Okay, so it’s more like sending your kiddo to a mediocre school – you don’t like it but you have no choice until something better comes along or you make enough money to move somewhere else. Perhaps, that’s better. Whatever the analogy, my baby is not being cared for like it should be, but not badly enough to call in social services. And it annoys the snot out of me. Plus, I have all this extra time now to spend on projects. Boring projects. Projects I can do with my eyes closed. There’s no challenge to them. A bored dragonfly equals a cranky dragonfly. I’d rate it around 4 these days. If Mr. Clean suddenly found something else, making as much himself as we make together, I’d happily leave to write all day instead. That being said, there are still days which rate a 9. They’re just fewer and far between.

Soup
When was the last time you think you were lied to?

Oooh, a particular peeve of mine. I won’t even label it a pet peeve. It’s more like the giant elephant stepping on my foot peeve. I’m not a very trusting individual (and that’s probably a bit of an understatement). Add to the inherent distrust my cynical optimism and you have me, figuring everyone is lying about something but still really, really hoping they’re not while in the back of mind, already preparing for the repercussions because, yeah, they probably are. The last time I know someone lied to me – and I won’t count the occasional spewage of spawnlings trying to get out of brushing teeth or denying wrongdoing when the obvious signs are all over them… The last time would have been a few years ago. It was a doozy and sent my world into a topsy-turvy spin off its axis for a long while. It certainly didn't help the trust issues, that's for sure.

Salad
Share some lyrics from one of your favorite songs.

Well, this was really difficult. I’m a music junky. There’s usually something playing on the iPod, the computer, the radio, or the TV (I love love love XM Satellite on the TV) at least 8 hours every day. My CD collection alone is a beast. Right now, I’m lovin’ on James Blunt but it would seem so cliché to put down lyrics to his stuff since he’s doing so well in the U.S. these days. Daily listens would include him, Audioslave, and Dierks Bentley. Again, all fairly popular right now. Instead, I’m going to throw out something older, a song I go back to often. I listened to these guys as a teenager, A LOT – as in, I think my parents were close to tearing their hair out if they heard them blasting through the speakers One. More. Time. Anyway, here’s one of my favs:

So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
blue skies from pain.
Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?

And did they get you trade your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees? Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change? And did you exchange
a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl,
year after year,
running over the same old ground. What have we found?
The same old fears,
wish you were here.

“Wish You Were Here” – Pink Floyd

Main Course
What do you do/take when you are in pain?

I’m not very big on pills but I do get occasional cluster headaches. You know, the kind that make you believe an alien has rooted itself in your brain and is about to burst through your skull like it did through that guy’s stomach in Alien. When one of those pains in the brain hits, I immediately reach for the Darvocet; it’s kind of like a lower level Vicodin. Otherwise, I’m a writhing mass crying for no light, no sound, and an ice pack for my head. Everything else rates fairly low on my pain tolerance scale and is not usually worth taking something.

Dessert
Fill in the blanks: My _______ is very _______.


My brain is very full.

I’m having a hard time shutting down this week. Hordes of plot ideas are skipping about in my brain, like children on the last day of school and they will Not. Be. Quiet. My WIP folks are there too, screaming, “Don’t forget US!” I keep assuring them, I’m not forgetting. I just haven’t had two seconds to myself for writing this week. Well, except for right now, this second, while I’m writing this blog entry. Aagh!
9 Responses
  1. What a filling feast!
    Mine is up too.


  2. Unknown Says:

    Great feast! I'm stuffed. Mine is up.


  3. Wystful1 Says:

    I'll have a second helping of your salad.

    My feast is served.


  4. I really like your feast because you explain all of your answers in detail.

    You're very lucky that it's been several years since you've been lied to. I wish I could say the same.


  5. Dragonfly Says:

    Glad everyone liked my salad. I agonized over which one! which one! for an hour. The level of indecision in this house these days is staggering. *grin*


  6. Mama Duck Says:

    Wonderful feast - hope you got some sleep. Hope you have a great Friday!


  7. Enjoyed your feast...especially the salad ;~)

    Have a great rest of the day and a beautiful weekend!


  8. Margaret Says:

    You're the second to have Pink Floyd Salad! This is my first feast and I really am starting to think there are some cool peeps here! Great feast. -Margie


  9. ribbiticus Says:

    great feast! love the song lyrics you chose. mine's up! ;)