Dragonfly
I’ve been super-busy these past few weeks. I feel like all I ever post are Friday Feasts. [sigh] I’ve even come up empty on this month’s Blogging 4 Books – which is sad, because I wait on the edge of my seat for each month’s topic. I don’t know if it’s the topic this month, or just a lack of creativity.

I’m working hard on the novel, busting my hind parts trying to get caught back up to where I was previously. Looking back, I think I made a bad decision to go back and tighten up the writing before I was done with the entire story. But. It’s too late to whine about it. I’ve tried ditching it and returning to what I was doing previously but it didn’t work. I’m stuck with the tightening. It’s not so bad – the writing is great. It’s just the speed of the writing that is bothering me so much. It’s slow and agonizing, whereas before I was plunging ahead like a sailboat racing with the spinnaker up. I’ll take the slow if it means better writing – but I’m not going to smile about it just yet.

I have managed to write my query letter (while I was avoiding writing the actual novel). It sounds Great.

Tomorrow is Doodlebug’s first baseball game. It should be a riot – and completely blogworthy (I hope).

Ok… enough prattling. Lunch is served!

Appetizer
From which country(s) are some (or all) of your ancestors?

On my father’s side – my father and grandmother are from the Black Forest region of Germany. My grandfather is from Budapest, Hungary. As a side note - I just found out that my grandparents met over a horse lying injured on a road. She was on her way to the market. He'd stopped to help (being a veterinarian). How wild is that? I'll have to post about some of their more interesting stories in the future.

My mother’s side goes back to Ireland and Scotland, by way of Texas, Georgia, and North/South Carolina.

So, I have dark blonde hair, blue/green eyes, fair skin, freckles… and a filthy temper.

Soup
How would you describe your sneeze?

Oh, this will be fun. Ahhh, it’s very quick and restrained, with a high-pitched "choooo" on the end. Imagine a mouse sneezing. That’d be me. It does – I’ve learned – have enough oomph to knock me off my feet if I’m schnockered, though. (to the great amusement of others)

Salad
What is the last thing you cleaned?

Myself. Just got out of the shower and boy do I smell loverly. Like sweet vanilla sugar. [grin] Before that… ?? I gave up dishes again when Mr. Clean came home. (but I did wash a load of towels day before yesterday!)

Main Course
Who made the strongest first impression on you?

Wow, this is hard. Lots of people have made incredibly strong first impressions on me.

Wahoo – who agreed to be friends with me in 2nd grade. We’re still best friends and it’s been 26 years. LYLAS, girl!

Judy Blume. I read Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret when I was a kid and immediately thought, “I’m going to be a writer some day.” Then, I devoured every book she wrote. Forever knocked me for a loop. I probably should have read it twice. I didn’t get the message the first time around.

My sophomore English teacher – who put me through the wringer. She was so hard on me, I thought I had insight into the true meaning of hatred. In hindsight, it was the best thing she could have done for me.

One of the guys I dated in high school – whom I’d mooned over for almost two years prior. (Okay. Fine. I stalked him. I followed him everywhere and made big ‘ole cow eyes at him until he finally fell beneath my spell.) His impression hasn’t ever gone away.

Dessert
Name one thing you want to accomplish in your lifetime.

Have a novel published and then send a copy to everyone I know – especially those who pretend to be cheerleaders while waiting on the sidelines for me to fail. I know that’s snarky but, Meh… there you have it.


Have a great weekend, y'all!
1 Response
  1. Kelly Says:

    I couldn't answer that first impression question at all but you have just bought back a treasured and relevant memory for me. Thanks for that!

    I will have to update that answer tomorrow on my blog.